A caught in or crushed incident is an incident that has resulted from a person being squeezed, caught, crushed, pinched, or compressed between two or more objects or parts of an object. This includes any combination of moving and stationary objects or parts.
1. Unguarded stationary machinery or equipment which can contact clothing or items worn by a person, pulling them into the action of the machine or equipment
2. Jewelry around the neck, limbs and fingers which can be grabbed by moving machinery, equipment or their parts
3. Long hair which can become entangled with machinery, pulling the person into the action of the machinery
4. Coat or shirt tails which can become entangled with machinery, pulling the person into the action of the machinery
5. Unprotected sides during excavation, trenching and shoring operations which may cave in and crush the occupants
6. Unsupported walls or other large objects which can fall and crush pedestrians below
7. Limited access zones not utilized which may lead to being run over and crushed by vehicles and heavy mobile equipment
1. Ensure all stationary machinery, equipment and their parts are properly guarder per the manufacturers’ recommendations
2. Ensure personal protective equipment is utilized whenever using stationary machinery and equipment
3. Cover or do not wear jewelry that may be caught by machinery and related equipment
4. Tie long hair up and out of the way to avoid contact with machinery and related equipment.
5. Tuck coat and shirt tails in to avoid contact with machinery and related equipment.
6. Ensure all regulatory standards are followed during excavation, trenching and shoring work
7. Inspect work areas prior to work to identify construction site hazards such as unstable walls or equipment
8. Utilize controlled access zones via hazard tape, cones or other markers to keep equipment operators inside designated areas and workers out of mobile equipment radius and travel areas
Real Simple Safety App
Real Simple Consulting
Done For You Services
Business Risk Mitigation
Operational Risk Mgmt.
ALL-IN-ONE SAFETY APP
Document Library & Builder
3RD PARTY SERVICES
Safety Meeting Topics
Safety Program Manual
Site Specific Safety Plan
Safety Activity Schedule